Moving house is one of the most exciting times of your life. Whether you’re buying or renting, it’s the start of a fresh chapter, new surroundings and endless possibilities. It’s neither simple nor free from stress though and before you make the move there are some questions that you need to ask yourself.
Over the years, we’ve worked with countless people selling their homes and moving on to greener pastures, and so we’ve come to know a few of those vital questions. In this guide, we’re going to share with you Three of them. Let’s dig in.
- Am I financially ready to move home?
It’s an ugly question, but when you’re thinking about moving home, it’s one you need to confront – are you capable of moving home at the moment? Whether you’re renting or buying will make a difference, but a full and frank assessment of your financials is always important.
It’s not just the monthly cost of your move that you need to think about either, because there’s also the costs of moving, refurnishing, decorating, conveyancers, surveys and more. Moving house is an expensive proposition, so you’re going to need to think about it.
- Do I need to move home?
Being aspirational is a fine trait to have, but, for the reasons listed above, you need to decide whether moving home is the best way to achieve your goals. Of course, people do move home for more reasons than simply to live in a nicer property or location. Having more room for your family, moving for a new job and other reasons are all perfectly legitimate, but a nicer home might be better served by interior decoration, rather than a move.
- Am I prepared for the move?
Moving house is stressful, no doubt about it. From getting your financials in order to clearing and cleaning your last property, there’s an awful lot of plates you’ve got to spin simultaneously. However, there’s more to consider than that. Here’s what you need to ask yourself to know if you’re prepared for the move:
- Have I had the post re-directed to my new property?
- Does my bank know that I’m planning on moving home?
- Is my new home insured?
- Have I taken my final meter readings and told my energy company I’ll be moving home?
- Have I told my car insurer about moving home?
- Does my Internet and TV provider know that I’ll no longer be residing at my old property?
- Have I changed my (and those I live with) address on the electoral register?
- Am I due to receive any deliveries at my old address?
- Have I told the tax office I’ve moved?
All these questions and more are vital to knowing whether you’re ready to make your move. Alright, we might have cheated by tacking nine more questions on to our last one, but without good answers to those questions, you’re going to endure more than a handful of headaches.